This is a really easy weeknight meal that tastes delicious. Seriously, it took me less than an hour from the moment I took the shrimp out of the freezer to the moment I put it on the plate.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder (you could also substitute this with 1/2 tablespoon of regular chili powder if you can’t find ancho, but you should be able to find it in the spice aisle at Kroger.)
- Brown Rice (optional)
- Jerk BBQ Sauce (optional)
Okay. So here we go.
- To thaw the shrimp, put the amount you want in a Ziploc bag and place in a sink of lukewarm water.
- Mix together the olive oil, pressed garlic, ancho chili powder and onion powder in a large bowl.
- Peel the thawed shrimp and put them in the bowl with the marinade. Incorporate the shrimp thoroughly with the marinade, and let sit for 10-20 minutes.
- (At this point, I threw a bag of partly cooked brown rice in the microwave in a casserole dish of water).
- Once the shrimp is fully marinated, take a little of the oil from the marinade and throw it in a medium skillet. Put the head on medium high.
- Once the oil is bubbling slightly, place the shrimp in it. (I drained off the excess oil and marinade, but you can definitely use it to make a yummy sauce for when you are done).
- Cook the shrimp thoroughly, mixing with a wooden spoon constantly.
- Serve over the brown rice, or with veggies or even a salad. I topped it with a spicy and sweet jerk bbq sauce I found at my local farmer’s market a few months ago.