This was the result of two things: my desire to learn how to incorporate quinoa into my recipe book, and an equally strong desire to use up leftovers in my fridge. Sorry I’m not sorry.
Again, if you are a Weight Watchers member, you can find the recipe and point break down here. One pepper is 7 Points Plus, but to be honest, the quinoa is so hearty I only ate half of one.
Here’s what you’ll need: (feel free to adapt to fit whatever you have in your fridge.
- 4 large sweet red pepper(s)
- 1 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), chopped
- 1/2 large uncooked, onion(s), chopped
- 3/4 item(s) canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1/2 pound(s) uncooked 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
- 1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), chopped
- 1/2 cup Ancient Harvest Quinoa, Inca Red, pre-rinsed, cooked according to the instructions on the box.
So here’s what you do:
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. (Mine said to boil 1 cup uncooked quinoa in 2 cups water or chicken broth, but follow the directions on the box)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the tops off of 3 of the peppers, and hollow them out. Set aside.
- Chop the final pepper, along with the garlic, chipotles, onion and carrots.
- Cook the turkey in a large skillet, then added the chopped veggies. Let simmer, then add 3 generous spoon fulls of cooked quinoa. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the hollowed out peppers, and roast the peppers in the oven for 10 minutes.